Optical Charecter Recognition is absolutely free to use with Google tools. Using Google drive and Docs, you can convert .JPEG, .PNG, .GIF, or PDF (multipage documents) files in readable forms.
Steps to use OCR with Google Drive & Google Docs
- Choose the file you want to apply OCR on.
- Go to official Google Drive website and upload the file.
- Now right click the uploaded file and select “Open with Google Docs.“
- You will be able to see the text extracted in readable form.
- Font and character set: For best results, use common fonts such as Arial or Times New Roman.
- Image quality: Sharp images with even lighting and clear contrasts work best.File size: The file should be 2 MB or less.
- Resolution: Text should be at least 10 pixels high.
- Orientation: Documents must be right-side up. If your image is facing the wrong way, rotate it before uploading it to Google Drive.
- Languages: Google Drive will detect the language of the document. It supports all the major languages of the world.
Important – The feature is not available on Android or iOS right now. You can use the feature on Computers (Windows & MAC)